12 July 2008

We left the motel room around 9:30 a.m. to head to Bodie State Historic Park north of Lee Vining.  Bodie is a ghost town that was started in conjunction with the gold rush in the Bodie Hills and abandoned around 1940.

Richard missed a turn along the way, so the GPS unit was employed to aid in finding Bodie.  The TomTom took us on a wild ride through the Bodie Hills where only 4WD vehicles are meant to roam.  Finally, we arrived at a creek that traversed the road, so we abandoned the GPS route and headed back to the main highway.  We then found the turn that Richard earlier missed, and we were back on our way.

We arrived at Bodie around 11:30 a.m.  There were dozens of old houses, churches, a school, a mill, and various other gold rush town necessities.  We toured the town for about an hour, then we headed back to Lee Vining for some lunch.

We ate at Nicely’s Restaurant.  Teagan got the pork roast special and Richard got a chef salad.  Teagan got blueberry pie with ice cream for dessert. We went back to the hotel briefly.

Then we went to the commitee to see a video there about mono lake but we didnt see one there. Richard asked the lady for some things to do and she suggested doing the Lee Vining Creek Trail, which starts at the visitors center so we headed there.

At the visitors center, Richard got some information about Yosemite. We watched a 25 minute film on Mono Lake and learned a few things. Then we started on the Lee Vining Creek Trail.  There was a lot of stuff in bloom on the trail. We got to see the creek. Everything was very pretty in a desolite sort of way.

We headed to the South Tufa area of Mono Lake for a ranger-led tour of the area at 6:00 p.m.  There was a threat of rain, but it never really got there.  The leader did good job explaing the unique ecology of Mono Lake.  She also gave an explanation of the tufas.

Afterward, we headed to an ice cream and burger shop across the street from our motel for supper.  Teagan got a guacamole burger and Richard got a burrito with chili.  Both were pretty good.  Just as Teagan was getting up from the picnic table to order an ice cream, the shop turned its lights out and put up their CLOSED sign.  But they were kind enough to serve up a few ice creams for the momentarily disappointed few who were finishing up their suppers.

Teagan went back to the motel while Richard went to the Lee Vining Market for a few last minute supplies for tomorrow.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *