13 June 2012 – Hilton Head

I got Teagan and Erin up at 9:15 a.m. so we could get ready for an outing.  They had omelets for breakfast, and we headed out around 10:15 a.m. for a trip to the Sea Pines Forest Preserve.

There is a $5 fee to enter the Sea Pines area.  We entered the preserve and parked to do some short hikes.  First we went to the Indian shell ring.  This is a ring mound that was left by native Americans about 3000 years ago.  The large ring was about 100 yards in diameter and consisted of discarded shells from the natives.  The significance of the ring is not know for certain, but it may have been used in rituals and ceremonies.

The trees, especially the live oaks, in the area have a lot of resurrection fern and Spanish moss on them.  There are lots of palmetto bushes, also.  We walked to an observation deck at Old Lawton Rice Field, but the trees and bushes were overgrown and we couldn’t tell there was every a rice field there.

We continued along the Bridle Trail to the Rice Field Trail which passed over a shallow water area that we could tell was a rice field in a prior life.  Then we headed back toward the van along the vanishing swamp trial (the water is only occasionally there). The entire area that we walked was very beautiful and quiet, despite being in the middle of a very developed beach area.

We drove to a few other places in the preserve, did a little walking, and then left the preserve to head to the south beach area.  We were there about 3 hours.  We left the preserve and headed toward the Salty Dog Cafe for lunch.

As often occurs with us on Hilton Head, we had a little difficulty finding our destination.  The heavy tree canopy interferes with the GPS signal, and the minimal signage make visual identification of destinations difficult.  Once we found the cafe, we were seated immediately.  This restaurant is very popular, and from what I’ve read seating commonly takes an hour at night.  So we had planned our day to arrive for a late lunch around 2:00 p.m.

Erin ordered the Mahi sandwich, Teagan had the She Crab Soup with shrimp salad sandwich, and I had a shrimp po-boy.  Everyone was happy with their meal.

We looked in several shops, both before and after lunch.  We also watch the three macaws they had in the shopping area.  Then we headed back to the condo.  We were going to take a quick look at Coligny Beach on the way back, but just as we got there a downpour hit.  So we passed up that outing.

We got back to the condo and rested for about an hour.  Then Teagan and I went on a bike ride.  We were going to ride along the beach, but it was high tide and there was really no sand left to ride on.  So we headed out on the bike paths north of the condo.  We biked through a Marriott property and a Westin property, passing various golf courses and tennis courts along the way.

We got back to the condo around 6:00 p.m.  A storm looked like it was heading our way, so we went into the condo to see what it would do.  After it passed, I headed to the beach.  There was a beautiful rainbow over the water.  The wind had died down, and the water was relatively calm compared to the wind-churned surf we’ve been seeing.

I swam for a while, then went for a jog/walk along the beach.  While I was jog/walking, Erin and Teagan came to the beach. When I got back, I bodysurfed a little, then headed back to the condo to start supper.  We had our version of nachos along with some guacamole that Teagan and I made (mostly Teagan).

At some point during the week I picked up some jalapenos from Publix.  They may be the hottest jalapenos I’ve every tasted.  In fact, they taste more like a serano pepper even though they look like a jalapeno.  Anyway, we’ve been attempting to each them during the week, so we added those to our nachos as well.  Pretty spicey.

After supper, we play Mario Karts Wii.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *