5 July 2012 – Utah

Teagan and I left the house around 6:00 a.m. to head for the airport.  Unfortunately, we didn’t get home until after 12:30 a.m. from the fireworks display in Nashville.  By the time we went to bed, it was around 2:00 a.m.

We arrived at economy parking at 6:45 and caught a shuttle to the terminal.  There were a lot of stops along the way to pick up others.  When we got to the terminal, the line for curb checking was quite long.  By the time we got our bag checked, cleared security and got to the gate, our flight had already boarded.  We were one of the last to get on.  The flight was not full, however, and we found adjacent seats near the back.

We arrived in Denver and got an early lunch at Einstein Bagels.  We left Denver at 11:00 a.m. and arrived in Salt Lake City at 12:25 p.m.  After collecting our checked bag, we went to Dollar Rent-A-Car to pick up the car.  We left the airport around  1:30 to head towards Moab.

We took I-15 south out of SLC, then Highway 6 southeast to I-70 at Green River.  The drive along Highway 6 was interesting at first when it was going through mountain terrain, but once we were past Price it became pretty boring.

We stopped in Green River to visit a Blimpie’s.  The town itself looked half dead.  There were many closed motels and gas stations.  The Blimpie’s, located inside a gas station, was surprisingly good.  The young woman that made our sandwiches did a really good job.

We took our sandwiches with us and resumed the drive.  We got to Moab around 5:40 p.m. and checked in at Sleep Inn.  Our room is pretty small with very little storage, but the price was good (for Moab). After we were settled, we headed to Arches NP to catch the late afternoon sun and sunset.

I purchased my senior pass at the park (recently turned 62), and we headed towards the Windows Section.  Our plan was to be at the windows area by sunset, but to stop and any views we wanted along the way.  We stopped at the La Sal Mountain overlook, Courthouse Towers, Petrified Dunes, Balanced Rock, Garden of Eden, and finally the windows section.

We walked out to Turret Arch.  It was in shadow in the afternoon sun so we didn’t take any pictures.  Then we went to the North Window.  It was beautifully lit by the low afternoon sun and we took several pictures.  After that we headed to the South Window, then took the primitive trail back to the parking lot.  Along the way, we spotted a rock formation that looked like a face from a particular angle.  We took a few pictures using a tripod, because the light was almost gone.

We headed back to Moab to hit a grocery store for a few supplies.  We brought a pack of veggie tamales back to the motel for a late supper.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *