9 July 2012 – Utah

We got up at 7am to get ready for our Fiery Furnace ranger-led hike at 9am.  We stopped off briefly at Park Avenue in Arches NP for a few pictures in the morning light and continued on to the Fiery Furnace Trailhead.  We got there just in time to get our gear ready, apply sunscreen, and begin the hike.

The hike was led by park ranger Dick Toll.  He began by explaining a few common sense rules.  There were about 25 in the group.

We descended from the parking lot into the bottom of the Fiery Furnace area.  After we hiked a short distance, the ranger would usually stop and spend a few minutes talking about the features we were seeing, and then proceed.  We spent the first part of the hike going along washes between the fins.  Later we got to higher levels.  We saw several arches, hiked through narrow joints, and did some basic scrambling.

The hike was very enjoyable, but not at all strenuous.  The scrambling was fun.  The places we got to see in the Fiery Furnace were really neat.  My favorite place was a large chamber with Surprise Arch along the top.

We headed back to Moab after the hike.  After a quick look at TripAdvisor, we decided to try Wake&Bake Cafe for lunch.  Their menu was a bit eclectic, including Mediterranean, Asian and American.  I got a turkey panini and Teagan got a Miso Tofu wrap.  Both were excellent.  This is a quality restaurant that really cares about their food.

After lunch, we stopped at the Moab Information Center for information about 4WD trails we could take tomorrow.  The collections of books in the center was very interesting. They had all sorts of nice books about the Moab area.

Next, we visited several gift shops on Main Street.  Teagan was looking for shot glasses.  Afterward, we headed back to the motel to plan the next day.

At 6:20pm, we headed toward the Delicate Arch Trailhead in Arches to catch the sunset.  Its one of those must do things in Arches.  The hike to Delicate Arch in only 1.5 miles, but there is quite a climb to get there.  The last mile is uphill the whole way, increasing altitude about 500 feet.

Once there, we saw about 100 people gathered.  We walked around looking for a good angle.  A little later Teagan headed to the arch so I could take pictures of her.  The arch was very nice in the setting sunlight.

We hiked back to the car, downhill, and drove to the City Market in Moab to get supplies for our Jeep ride tomorrow and to pick up supper.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *