16 July 2012 – Utah

We woke up around 7 and got ready for the day.  First we went to the state capitol.  Once we got there, we decided to do the tour.  The next tour group was a bus full of old people.  We started out with them, but we shortly decided to split off.  Dad and I went to the top floor though, and they were there soon enough.  We ended up joining them the rest of the trip.  We got into the house of representatives room, the senate room, supreme court, and the gold room.  We wouldn’t have been able to get in all those rooms by ourselves.  The guide was very knowledgeable about things and told us some interesting information.  She was amusing and the old people were nice as well.  The group was a lot better than it seemed like it would be at first.  Once the guide referred to Dad as being young, which I thought was funny.

Next we drove to Big Cottonwood Canyon.  We had a map with a few hiking trails on it, some of which were in this canyon.  It didn’t have a hike Dad had seen online though, which was called Doughnut Falls.  After a while in the canyon, we found out where it was.  The waterfall was nice, and there were a lot of people there.  It’s the most popular trail in the canyon.  It was just 3/4 of a mile to the falls.  It was a nice short hike to do before lunch.

For lunch we went to Silver Fork Lodge Restaurant at the top of the canyon.  Dad got a soup and salad.  I got a sandwich that came with a salad.  Everything was good.

Next we went on a hike to Dog Lake, using the Mill D North Trail.  It was 2.8 miles one way with 1,500 ft of elevation change.  We kept going up and up the mountain and came down on the way back.  There were lots of flies on the trail so whenever we stopped they would buzz around us a lot more.  The last .6 miles of the trail were steeper than the rest.  The lake was good, it wasn’t great though.  Mainly,  it was getting up there that was nice.  The cottonwood trees and the wildflowers next to the trail were nice.   Once we were at the lake, we started hearing thunder.  We made it back to the car before the rain came.

Next, we went to Park City.  It was raining, but once we got to Park City, it wasn’t anymore.  We walked on Main Street, stopping at a few stores.  There was some kind of big event going on with a lot of kids and parents.  On our way back to Salt Lake City, we stopped at the Olympic Park, and I saw ski courses, and ski jumps.  I thought the ski jumps were especially ridiculous, and this was the first time I was seeing one.  In the rest of town you could see ski courses, since that is a big part of Park City.

Once we were back to SLC, we went to a Denny’s right by our hotel.  The food was ok.  This was our 2nd time going to one.  We went back to the hotel for the night and got ready to pack.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *